Essentials of Graphic Facilitation by Michelle Walker
Where and When: Thursday 29 November 9.30am to 4.30pm
Venue: La Trobe University, Bundoora
This full-day course is a hands-on, activity based program designed so you understand, gain experience and are able to apply the core elements of a creative and visual thinking and graphic approach to your existing facilitation work. Content covered includes:
- Introduction to the field of graphics facilitation – key concepts; terms; and figures who have shaped the field.
- Power of working visually – an overview of the brain and science of visual language.
- Approaches to graphic facilitation – an exploration of the Graphics Practice Spectrum to understand the range of approaches available to facilitators depending on context and objectives.
- Stand and deliver – getting to know your tools and materials; demonstrations and practical exercises in drawing basic shapes and text; key elements and layout – use of size, placement, order and colour for great charts; materials to start your reference icon library.
- Understanding the applications – building on the basics including practical examples and templates for common applications; use of visual metaphors, synthesis images and their power in communicating key messages; applications to digital media.
What outcomes will participants get from your workshop?
- A solid understanding of the role and skills needed to offer graphic facilitation services
- Loads of hands-on practice including:
- FIVE basic techniques for graphic facilitation
- THREE steps to making awesome flipcharts
- Key approaches to taking visual notes as part of workshop capture
- An understanding of TWO main applications – visual metaphors, and visual templates and how to apply these to your facilitation
- Knowledge of the range and kinds of resources available for your creative and visual activities with groups
- Truckloads of confidence to take your creative and visual thinking skills out to the world and into your next workshop!
About Michelle Walker
Michelle Walker is a graphic facilitation and visual thinking specialist. She brings 26+ years of professional experience from her work with government agencies and as a consultant in the private sector.
Michelle’s visual thinking company, Curious Minds Co. is internationally renowned. Her skills include graphic facilitation, recording and animated explainer videos, as well professional training in these areas.
Michelle has created and trained an Australian-wide network of ‘Alliance Partners’ to support clients with these services.
Michelle regularly delivers her signature training programs ‘Advanced Visual Thinking’ and ‘Visual Thinking for Organisational Leaders’ to audiences around the world. She continues to receive strong, positive feedback from participants regarding their impact and usefulness.
As an author, Michelle has written several books in the visual thinking field including her latest ’15 Visual Templates for Facilitators’ and has recently been a contributing author with 50 other global practitioners to produce a soon-to-be released ‘Visual Facilitation Field Guide’.
Michelle speaks on ‘The Power of Working Visually’ and ‘The Power of a Creative Mindset’ to national and international conferences and has delighted audiences with her visually-engaging, fast-paced and action-focused talks.